- Information For
- Cost & Aid
- Student Life
It’s very important to enter the United Sates with the proper visa. You must apply for a visa in order to enter the United States with student status.
How to Apply for a Student Visa
It’s important to apply for your student visa as soon as possible. Processing times for visa issuance vary and may require additional time due to security checks.
- Your Form I-20 can be found in the front of your welcome package. Pay the $200 SEVIS
fee if this is your first time applying for an F-1 student visa (some students with
a previous Form I-20 and F-1 visa will also have to pay this fee). Click here for instructions.
Your SEVIS Identification number is listed on your Form I-20, beginning with the first number after the letter “N”.
Be sure to print out a copy of your SEVIS fee receipt at the time of payment and bring it with you when you come to OSU. The printed confirmation will serve as proof of payment for the I-901 SEVIS fee.
- Follow the US Embassy/Consulate’s instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 student visa.
- Complete the Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant visa application form.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Read all information on the Form I-20 carefully and sign the first page of the Form
I-20, and provide the information requested if under 18 years of age.
- Attend your scheduled visa interview.
What is the SEVIS Fee?
SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is an internet-based system that maintains data on foreign students and exchange visitors before and during their stay in the United States. It is administered by the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The SEVIS fee is a one-time fee that MUST be paid by all new students entering the country on an F-1 or J-1 visa. The revenue from the fee is used to support the SEVIS program. More information on SEVIS and the SEVIS fee
Who has to pay the SEVIS Fee?
For spouses and dependent children (F-2, M-2, or J-2) of students or exchange visitors None For students (F-1, F-3, M-1, or M-3) $200 For exchange visitors (J-1) unless participating in: $180 Federally sponsored exchange visitor program (program codes starts with G-1, G-2, or G-3) None
You do not need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee if you are transferring schools, extending your program, applying for an F-2 dependent visa, or have paid this fee and been denied a visa within the last twelve months.
SEVIS Fee Payment Options
- You may pay electronically by completing Form I-901 (Fee Remittance for Certain F, M and J Non-immigrants) at FMJfee.com using a credit card.
- You may pay through the mail, by submitting Form I-901, together with a check or money order drawn through a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency.
- School/Sponsors/Third party payments are allowed.
To ensure electronic verification of the fee payment at the consular office, you must submit the fee at least three business days before your scheduled visa interview. This will allow time for the fee to be deposited and payment recorded in SEVIS.
Documents Needed for VISA Interview
- Valid Passport
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
- Evidence of admission at OSU (letter provided in the front of this package)
- Evidence of your financial ability to pay for your education (bank statement)
- SEVIS fee receipt
- Any other documentation your embassy/consulate requires
Canadian citizens can enter the United States without having an entry visa, but Canadian citizens must obtain a Form I-20 or DS-2019 and pay the SEVIS fee before entering the United States
If you have any questions, please contact us at +1 405.744.5358 or email@example.com.